Jeffrie Allan Summers II v. Sea Mar Community Health Centers
Superior Court of the State of Washington in and for the King County Case No. 2-2-00773-7-SEA
Update: The Sea Mar Community Health Data Breach Settlement is currently on appeal in the Superior Court of the Sate of Washington in and for the King County.
*No Claims Forms will be accepted via email*
If you have been a patient, employee, or guarantor of Sea Mar Community Health Centers, a Class Action Settlement may affect your rights
A Washington State Superior Court authorized this website. You are not being sued. This is not a solicitation from a lawyer.
• A Settlement has been reached in a class action lawsuit concerning Sea Mar Community Health Centers and a data incident (the “Data Incident”) that occurred between December 2020 and March 2021, when one or more unauthorized individuals accessed or potentially accessed information stored on Sea Mar Community Health Centers’ computer system, including names, addresses, dates of birth, Social Security numbers, medical and clinical treatment information, insurance information, and claims information (“Private Information”).
• The lawsuit is called Jeffrie Allan Summers II v. Sea Mar Community Health Centers, Case No. 2-2-00773-7-SEA (Wash. Super. Ct.), and is pending in the Superior Court of the State of Washington in and for the King County. The lawsuit asserts claims related to the Data Incident. The Defendant in the lawsuit is Sea Mar Community Health Centers (“SMCHC” or “Defendant”). Defendant in the lawsuit denies it is or can be held liable for the claims made in the lawsuit. The Settlement does not establish who is correct, but rather is a compromise to end the lawsuit.
• Members of the Settlement Class are all individuals whose Private Information was maintained on Defendant’s computer systems and/or network that was potentially compromised in the Data Incident. The Settlement Class does not include (i) Defendant and its officers and directors; (ii) all Settlement Class Members who timely and validly submit requests for exclusion from the Settlement Class; and (iii) any other Person found by a court of competent jurisdiction to be guilty under criminal law of initiating, causing, aiding or abetting the criminal activity occurrence of the Data Incident or who pleads nolocontendre (a legal term that means, “I do not wish to contend”) to any such charge; and (iv) members of the judiciary to whom this case is assigned, their families, and members of their staff. Eligible Settlement Class Members will be mailed notice of their eligibility, and Settlement Class Membership will be verified against that emailed list.
• Settlement Class Members are eligible to receive the following relief: (1) up to $2,500 in reimbursement for Ordinary Losses consisting of actual documented Out-of-Pocket Losses, documented Unreimbursed Identity Protection Expenses, and up to 10 hours of lost time spent remedying the issues related to the Data Incident (at $30 per hour); (2) in the alternative to reimbursement for Ordinary Losses, a cash payment of up to $100; (3) up to $25,000 in reimbursement for documented Extraordinary Losses arising from financial fraud or identity theft; and (4) 36 months of IDX Identity Protection Services, with 3-Bureau credit monitoring, a $1 million dollar insurance policy, and identity restoration services. Additional information about the payment amounts and IDX protection Services are posted on this website. Defendant has also agreed to enact (at its expense) reasonable and appropriate security enhancements identified in risk assessments to be performed in 2022 and 2023. For complete details, please see the Settlement Agreement, whose terms control, available in the documents section of this website.
• Your legal rights are affected regardless of whether you act or do not act. Please read this Website carefully.
Your Legal Rights and Options in this Settlement
Submit a Claim
This is the only way you may receive benefits from this Settlement. The deadline to submit a Claim Form is December 30, 2022.
Exclude yourself from the Settlement
You will receive no payment, but you will retain any rights you currently have with respect to Defendant and the issues in this case. You may download an exclusion form from this website. The deadline to exclude from the Settlement is October 31, 2022.
Object to the Settlement
Write to the Court explaining why you do not agree with the Settlement. The deadline to object is October 31, 2022.
Attend the Final Approval Hearing
You may ask the Court for permission for you or your attorney to speak about your objection at the Final Approval Hearing. The Final Approval Hearing will be held on December 9, 2022, at 9:00 a.m. PT.
You get no payment, but will be eligible for 36 months of IDX Identity Protection Services, and you give up rights.
• These rights and options—and the deadlines to exercise them—are explained in this website. For complete details, please see the Settlement Agreement, whose terms control, available in the documents section of this website.
• The Court in charge of this case still has to decide whether to approve the Settlement. No Settlement benefits or payments will be provided unless the Court approves the Settlement and it becomes Final.
This website is authorized by the Court, supervised by counsel and controlled by Kroll Settlement Administration LLC, the Settlement Administrator approved by the Court. This is the only authorized website for this case.
Sea Mar Data Breach Settlementc/o Kroll Settlement Administration LLC P.O. Box 5324 New York, NY 10150-5324
Click here to safely and securely submit a Claim Form.
Monday, October 31, 2022
You must complete and mail your Request for Exclusion so that it is postmarked no later than Monday, October 31, 2022.
Monday, October 31, 2022
You must mail your objection(s) and/or notice of intent to appear at the Final Approval Hearing so that it/they are postmarked no later than Monday, October 31, 2022.
Claim Form Deadline
Friday, December 30, 2022
You must submit your Claim Form online no later than Friday, Friday, December 30, 2022, or mail your completed paper Claim Form so that it is postmarked no later than Friday, December 30, 2022.
Final Approval Hearing Date.
Friday, December 9, 2022
The Final Approval Hearing is scheduled for Friday, December 9, 2022. Please check this website for updates.